Skip to main content

E-Day + 30

I've officially been here for a month. That's 8 months of my stay here left to go. It's been a rough month with lots of money spent on starting up, mistakes made on buying food and my refusal to accept that I should be living for Finland and Erasmus rather than obsessing about what's going on at home. Few lessons have been learned, all of them valuable in life!

I don't mind cleaning plates and whatnot now. Crucially, I don't mind cleaning other peoples' plates and glasses. With their food on them. I'm one of those people who finds other peoples' food both sacred (do not touch) and disgusting (do not touch!!!) but now I don't mind. We have to stay on top of cleaning dishes and saucepans and all that and of course cutlery. The place would fall apart otherwise, and me with it.

Washing my clothes is so easy and whatnot and indeed more satisfying. I do not mind washing my clothes in the communal laundry. I do not mind having to book two hour slots for a tiny machine. I do not mind the idea of buying detergent every few weeks. I do not mind the idea of doing multiple loads every week. I can do this now, I can do this for life. I also always loved drying clothes but it feels more worth it now to use the drier and wear the clothes afterwards. So warm and toasty!

I am sick of this 5 month vacation. I haven't had college since March and my exams were finished by May. So technically I haven't been to a lecture in 7 months. I miss the structure of my day that I used to have. It's only around the time I was in Leaving Cert did I start to get sick of the summer dragging on for July and August. Now I feel that sensation again. I want my structured day of eating, coffee, lectures, work and study that I used to have. I am much more conducive to society that way than I am now! Even when it starts, I'll still have only 8 hours a week. But I'll study for around 20 hours a week, so it should balance out!

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not in Ireland any more, I should stop fussing about the drama and the politics. I am absolutely sickened by the actions of some people but I suppose I can't blame them too harshly. I figure that my return will be less celebrated than I used to think, so I must make the most of now. There are two drinking parties on Thursday and Friday, so that should keep me going. I'll try and distance myself from Ireland as best as possible, saving my time for only the very best of friends who aren't just the friends who stayed about the longest, but the ones who never left me. There will be showdown in either December-January or March I'd say, when I'm back for a time. After that, nothing left to do but finish Final Year in relative peace and then leave that country when I can.

I can barely imagine what it'll be like after March and May at the latest. I have something very important to take care of from there on out, but I don't know how that'll pan out. I also have someone that I've built my life around and I hope they don't go on me. She is visiting me here next Monday, so we'll see how that goes!

A month in and I'm doing fine. I can only do better, despite the cold an the darkness that is coming. At this rate, I can totally do this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review #8 T.I.M.E Stories: The Prophecy of Dragons redeux *spoilers*

Bit of a gap since the last time I posted but hell these posts are only for my memory and my loyal spambot fanbase.

Prophecy of Dragons I played with my brother's group in a single night and I have the record in another post. This is my second play through with Cathy and Royce from a few weeks ago.

I played the Elven Ranger, Royce the paladin with the re-roll and Cathy was the lady assassin. We had lay on hands from the paladin which costed no magic and were pretty tasty in combat overall. We started out in the inn as well, made sense to go there. We made the mistake of turning over the door card without the key but we would be coming back, Royce got the golden underwear item and I made contact with our employer; someone checked out the gambling but we left for the market.

In the market we didn't buy any armour and weapons but bought some assorted whatnots from the potion dealer. We also bought tools either here or at the castle plaza, wherever the cat merchant is. Most of the…

Game report follow-up: T.I.M.E Stories The Marcy Case 1992 w/ C & R spoiler-tastic

We were extremely well-drilled from having played the Asylum the morning before. Cathy and Royce took turns managing the Item Deck. I managed the turn tracker and interpreted rules and general oversaw everything running smoothly.

Run #1

We started at the City Entrance and Cathy decided to save the copper fighting the zombie. I told her to fire her gun once here I think. She received a shotgun afterward! I went for the car boot while Royce tanked the zombies that you must fight. Trapper the Dog joining Royce for this fight only but stayed with Cathy for the rest of the game. I eventually liberated the convict (after checking out the dead policeman) and got the jury-rigged rocket.

Evoking zombie tropes, we elected to go to the police station first. We got a Marcy for our trouble, a cassette (I think), keys and the Gatling gun. I got that by shooting off the lock. Going into the room with the zombies is never palatable, especially when you have plenty of health packs.

The High School was…

Review enjoy/hate #9 Frostgrave - miniatures in general too

After three games of Frosty Gravy I think I can comment on my experiences and how the system works. First some background from me & miniatures in general and then about my experiences with this new game.

Collecting

I collected Warhammer Fantasy Battle figures, Warhammer 40k and Lord of the Rings figures in the past. I also received a large number from my two brothers, especially my eldest brother who still collects and models them to an extent. Most of these hand me downs were for a particular board game called battle masters, as well as a number from old board games and whatnot. I collected a few thousand points worth of Space Marines for my sins, mostly between 2001-2006 or thereabouts. I tried to collect a Skaven army for Warhammer Fantasy but never got past the prices I had one regiment of basic rats and the Codex. I had quite a number of Lord of the Rings figures thanks to the magazine and I also bought a few Haradrim boxes which were cheap at the time. Usually I just bought w…