02 September 2024

Resident Evil 1 Remake / BioHazard (2015) 100% completion

I had last written a post about this in August 2022. I left it installed on my desktop since then and briefly went back to it a couple of times - I cleared it on Easy in February 2023 and got a few arbitrary achievements.

Same again in November 2023, I cleared it in less than 3 hours and no saving.


For some reason I picked it up in late August 2024 and cleared it in various ways: Normal as Jill, CQC as Chris, Normal again as Jill, once again mode as Jill (infinite launcher so much fun), Real Survival as Jill (also counts as Hard mode) and finally Invisible Zombies as Jill on very easy. That unlocked the remaining costumes and 100% completion.


So I played it 8 more times since the last blog entry!


---


Previously…


I cleared the game multiple times in August 2022 and did a write up blog here on that. I only cleared it to finish maybe 2-3 times IIRC as both Chris and Jill but had set up save files where I could reload at certain points and save Barry, Richard, Rebecca and either Chris or Jill depending on who I was playing (for the various achievements).


Handy achievements


Never gets old. Well, maybe after the 5th or 6th time



In February 2023 I cleared the game for the first time on Easy Mode. I also killed Yawn early for the first time, and bothered to kill the Spider. Also managed to burn multiple zombies in one go for another achievement in the lab.


Richard lives!!!



Took me 5 hours to beat Easy Mode here.


Obviously I took my time, saved and healed etc. even on Easy



No saving/<3 hours


On the 1st of November 2023 I sat down and cleared it in less than 3 hours and without saving. Very satisfying. 


The only evidence, no ribbons used, <3 hours play time.



---


Normal Every Nook and Cranny Jill


Never did this puzzle before. Just remembered to try 3,5,6 later though



I had briefly started a file from before with the intention of visiting every room and picking up every item. I started it over in August 2024 and set it to Normal mode. This made it so there were less items and guaranteed I would unlock Once Again Mode.


So clean. Lots of backtracking in some cases though = more fights



This was difficult in a way, not just being my first time playing Normal Mode (more, tougher zombies, less healing/ammo) but having to put myself needlessly into situations. For example, I have never encountered the Forest Zombie alone on the balcony before, but I had to get those green herbs in the corner.


Loved having the Survival Knife and the Survival knife (one next to the spider boss)



Finished it anyway and got both Normal Mode trophy and Every Nook and Cranny. It took 10 hours of game time which is reasonable, that’s about as long as it takes for me to beat Resident Evil 4 and have a holistic experience.


First time using the Wind Crest etc. Nice having two Magnums later!



This experience stood to me as I could take a couple of minutes out of my ‘speedruns’ (just trying to beat the game in ~3 hours) to grab useful stuff that would save time/ammo/healing later. I had never held or used the Self Defence Gun before, for example.


My only time fighting Forest, ever. I never had 'One Hard Zombie' active for some reason?


It looks so good cleared out.

Also one of the rare times I saved Chris because I had all MO disks!


Very Easy CQC Chris / Rebecca saves Chris


Lots of saving while holding my spleen inside on knife only run



I’ve only played as Chris a couple of times before so it was very fun barreling around as him. He has way more health and is slightly faster than Jill so speedrunning as him is fun. He is also better with the knife.


First time going fo V Jolt/ controlling Rebecca. I would use V Jolt a lot afterwards


Trying to cut all the vines was still tough as fuck, even on Very Easy


This line alone put me off using Chris again, lmao.

Knifing the Crimson Head, Yawn and even Tyrant were grand but Plant 42 was tough. Rebecca saved me by making V Jolt. I had never made it before in any of my runs and that was handy for popping the ‘Rebecca saves Chris’ achievement. You STILL have to fight Plant 42 as Chris after she does that but it’s feasible with the knife.


LFG


Knifed the perfect specimen.


Grand old run, forgot how annoying Old Keys and less inventory space is but its made up for somewhat by Chris being tough, also no need to carry ammo anyway in a knife run.


I agree, Chris.


No bullets = CQC run achieved. You can ONLY use the knife. Saved a lot.

"WTF are you wearing, Chris?"


Normal again (all guns achievement ‘Starsenal’)


I wasn’t sure if I needed to do this or not, but I think I did. I had to beat in less than 5 hours for a costume or a weapon IIRC. Anyway I did it.





OH YES I needed to do it to get the infinite launcher/samurai edge. All on Thursday the 29th of August. I had already made sure to pick up pretty much every weapon in my Chris runs and of course as Jill previously in the Nook and Cranny run.


Probably my fastest time?





Once Again Mode Normal Jill - infinite launcher ftw





I had unlocked the infinite launcher (and the samurai edge). Literally blasted through the entire game with the Infinite Launcher.


The infinite launcher is brilliant but not perfect



NOT ideal as lots of zombies came back as Crimson Heads. Despite the fiery animation, the zombies simply die but are not burned. So a few reanimated. I took care to burn a couple of awkward ones with the lighter/fuel as usual. Or simply use fire grenades or blow their heads off with the Magnums. Looking at you, lab zombies!


I really liked the Army Jill costume. Only 10 saves needed with the launcher! 124 shots!



Real Survival Jill (also Hard achievement)


The Resident Evil 3 tube top! What a bad ass.



Back in again on Real Survival. No auto aim and it's also set to hard difficulty so enemies are tougher, more plentiful and ammo/healing items are few. I was so well-oiled at this point it didn’t really phase me. Also no interconnected item boxes! But again I was pretty good at managing this anyway so it was refreshing.


I actually LOVED the item management. Added a layer of strategy to it.



Well, the lack of auto aim kind of sucked but it was possible to line enemies up easily enough. Also I knew how to wait until enemies were a millisecond away from grabbing me and just blow their heads off with a shotgun. 


Probably wasted a couple extra grenades on Papa Crimson w/o auto aim... oh well



I should say I had an A4 page I wrote up in front of me with bullet points of everything I needed to do, divided into roughly 4-5 sections. Mansion, Courtyard, Residence, Mansion again, Courtyard, Altar, Lab. This is after relying on various video guides. The main thing that confused me was the initial back and forth in the Mansion. I find the Residence very linear and everything beyond that but the initial experience is a bit confusing.


The many saves... I used slot 4 over and over by the end 

It looked like this by the end. Green easy, Pink V Easy, Red Hard, Orange Invisible, Blue RS. Normal is white. I used Save File 4 over and over by the end to unlock all costumes.



I also noted with almost 10 playthroughs over the last 2 years (by the end) when exactly I could ditch the Sword Key or the Armor Key, when I could discard certain items or how, when to ditch the Green Crank and so on. There is a key in the Lab you can use on two doors that are right next to each other and immediately throw away. Same with the Emblem Key, one use and it's gone.


V Jolt on the roots kills Plant 42 but Bar-Bar still has to save ya



I also knew (with the help of https://www.evilresource.com/resident-evil-remake/maps) what items were in what rooms, how many, what enemies might be there… all according to difficulty and whether you were playing as Chris or Jill. Very handy. After playing it 6 times in a row over the matter of a week I didn’t even need that. Often it's better just to leave a herb on the ground where you found it and just remember to grab it if injured.


My fave zombie! His wail is so pathetic



I usually save a couple of achievements for another time if I’m on a run and I like a game, but I decided considering how well-oiled and used to it I was I might as well get the 100% completion now. I can always play it for fun in the future and I will, just like Resident Evil 4 and so many other games.


Always make sure to burn this guy in the lab



This is hard mode and I couldn’t auto aim but I was so experienced with the game by now it felt easier. Invisible mode was harder!


Took my time on Real Survival/Hard mode.



Invisible Zombies Jill





On the same day I beat Real Survival I ploughed on at half 10 at night and beat Invisible mode by 2am. I set it to Very Easy because you can do that! It was still hard.


"What are you talking about Jill"



No auto aim and the fucking zombies are invisible. Somehow the idea of a floating pair of teeth coming at me is more terrifying than decaying corpses. They pop into existence when they attack you and they can be seen in mirrors but that’s it. Also some enemies kick up dirt or give themselves away somehow (Yawn, spiders etc). Not to mention the DOGS! Had to make sure I had the shotgun and just sprayed and prayed.


Invisible DOG landing. Always the part of the game I dread, amplified.



Thankfully by now I had memorised the locations of most enemies, plus there were way less of them than I was used to on Very Easy mode. I had just played through the game 5 times on various harder modes so less was good.


Struggling with Crimson Head



Also there were tons of health items and ammo, but I kept getting bitten. By the end of the game I had zero self-defence items.


Decided to burn this guy. He is replaced by a Hunter later but I killed him by accident


I had to very carefully kill some strategically placed zombies and burn their asses. The one outside the safe room on the eastside comes to mind, even though he disappears later he is a pest. Plus pretty much every zombie in the lab.


Tazing this prick over and over, the one zombie you have to engage in the Residence


Crimson Head Prototype was OK, I was afraid he’d kill me but grenade ammo took care of him. Invisible Yawn was OK too, I had like 17 acid grenades. You can simply avoid the Spider Queen as I call her and I had gotten used to taking a few extra minutes as Jill to make V Jolt and killing Plant 42 that way. Way easier than trying to shoot him from the balcony.


Invisible SHARKS



Lisa Trevor was a bit scarier while invisible and got a few shots on me in the cave and in the cabin but mercifully I defeated her OK in the Altar.





Tyrant was piss easy as ever and I only do the worst endings now so I only have to fight him once. Barry’s magnum kills him in one go.





Onto the landing again for the 10+ time and was home free, unlocked Invisible Mode achievement and all costumes. As I had finished the game in about 3 hours or so I got to see some neat end credits images.



100%! 58 hours total game played, maybe 10-11 playthroughs maximum over 2 years.




---


So that’s Resident Evil 1 100% completed!


I have never played Resident Evil 0 ever in my life but I have it so I must give it a whirl.


I played a bit of Resident Evil 2 Remake but couldn’t get into it. I got as far as exiting the police station IIRC.


I’ve never played Resident Evil 3 NEMESIS in my life so I must try that too.


I’ve played 4 multiple times but never played the Remake. Must try it.


I did try to play Resident Evil 5 on the 360 like 10 years ago but it was horrifying. Willing to try again someday.


6,7,8? Village? Others? I have them all on Steam, I will eventually play them all.


---


I’m not sure what to play next, I was playing FF13 ‘just for fun’ and it was bleh.


Currently playing a bit of Civ5 here and there with C. I’ve played it to death (7 achievements left out of 286) while she never really got into it so we’re trying it out.


I might give Civ 6 a go seeing as 7 is out in February. The 7 achievements I have left in Civ5 are all the hardest ones so that’ll be an ongoing project.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love/Hate #49 The Outer Worlds 45/68 achievements

My eyes were bleeding after Pathfinder so I took a break then played Outer Worlds for the first time ever. Then 2 days later I finished it! ...