24 June 2024

June post #1 Sweden, Finland, Estonia (again again)

 I realised I hadn't been to Finland since my trip in 2019 (also went to Estonia for a couple of days too) and hadn't been to Sweden/Stockholm since 2012 so decided to go on this trip.

I flew to Stockholm Arlanda, got a train for about 30 euro to the city centre. Walked for ages to find my hotel, it was on another island. Turns out it used to be a prison!



I spent the next day Thursday walking around Stockholm, almost went into the National Art Museum again but decided against it. I had been in there last time I was in Sweden and amn't a huge art fan anyway. There were cool scultures in there the last time though.



Decided to go to the Vasa Museum instead, which had a Nordic Life exhibit going on at the time.

Then I had a nice pizza and some very light beers then went to the ABBA Museum. Very nice stuff in there, lots of memorabilia. For 30 euro I fairly blasted through it in an hour.



Long walk to the ferry to Finland. Got there in good time and pretty much went straight to bed.



Didn't really sleep that night, was awake to see the brief stop at Mariehamn on the Aland Islands.



Passed out for an hour and awoke to the cleaners knocking. Not that we were even there yet but I got ready and got a pastry and some coffee.



Finally back in Finland on Friday, I walked for like 6 hours.



Saw Turku Castle for the first time:



Went on the Fori for the first time, I never knew it existed:



Eventually found Puck again



Walked around the Forest Park near my old Student Village



Had some Hesburger (shrinkflation or just small burgers?). They got rid of the Lenin statue since I was last here



Back into town and sat for a long while, feet and legs killing me. Finally got into hotel room at 1:45pm

Slept for a bit and then went into town for a Makkaraperunat, expectation:


Reality (still good):





Had an 8 euro Guinness in the Irish bar (not very good)



Back to the room and had a few different cans of beer from Finland





Was going to go out but was wrecked from not sleeping much/walking around all day



Saturday was a chill day, I visited the Market Hall and got a Prinsesstårta for the first time (SO GOOD).



I went to see Furiosa. Great movie. Last movie I saw in that cinema was the terribly forgettable Immortals in 2011.

Got a rullakebab afterwards in a Grilli across from my hotel.



I had a bottle of Riesling 2022 from the market so just drank that and went to bed.

Sunday I had to go so had a quick coffee and pastry and bus to Helsinki

I was only there for an hour, got some McDonald's but really wanted to try this falafel place but no time



Off on the fast ferry to Tallinn, Estonia once again. Only 3 hours.

Eventually found my hotel and chilled out for a bit



I had a cheeseburger in one place and steakhouse fries in another place. Estonia has gotten more expensive for sure.



Washed it all down with a couple of giant steins of beer



That's enough of that, I slept a tiny bit and then checked out



Back to Ireland, all smooth no issues

I love Citylink or Gobus or whatever, they let you change your tickets. Got an earlier bus than the one I had booked, no questions asked.

---

So all in all a great trip, was nice to be back for the first time since August 2019. I focussed more on seeing a bunch of stuff again and for the first time rather than going out. Must be getting older. I pretty much accomplished everything I wanted to on my checklist with no regrets. I probably won't go back here for a long time but I look forward to it.

Next up in 2024, the West of Ireland and London!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love/Hate #49 The Outer Worlds 45/68 achievements

My eyes were bleeding after Pathfinder so I took a break then played Outer Worlds for the first time ever. Then 2 days later I finished it! ...